This is an update to the 2m dipole post from 3 January 2014, a simple 2m dipole for SOTA VHF contacts.
You may recall I used 1.6 mm enamelled copper wire for the 2m dipole mounted on the squid pole at 5 metres. I tested the antenna during the Mt Rob Roy activation where the antenna performed very well. Made a genuine VHF DX contact with VK2NC in Sydney and a scratchy contact with John VK2YW in Wagga Wagga.
One issue that had to be addressed was the wire diameter is insufficient to prevent the elements from bending and drooping in the wind. To remedy this I have made new elements from 3mm enamelled wire almost double the size of the original wire. Also had to drill out the holes in the banana binding posts to accommodate the larger diameter wire.
Today I tested the revised design from the summit of Goorooyarroo VK1/AC-036. There was a steady breeze for 4 hours on the summit and the dipole maintained its horizontal configuration, no drooping and no misalignment.
Using the 2m dipole I worked Gordon VK3EJ on 144.200, Gordon is located near Cobram in Victoria 333 km south-east, grid QF24TB signal reports were 5-2 each way with aircraft enhancement and John VK2YW located near Wagga Wagga, 166 km west, grid QF34QU, point to point no aircraft enhancement with signal reports 5-1 each way. I am sure both VHF DX contacts would count towards the Ross Hull award. Local 2m contacts included Matt VK1MA and Andrew VK1DA. Earlier I worked Matt on 6m 52.1 MHz, qualifying the summit on VHF.
Pictures of the revised configuration