I will be heading to the Snowy Mountains for the public holiday long weekend 7-9 March 2015. My SOTA activation plans, subject to weather conditions, are:
- Thursday 5/3/15 – Mt Perisher VK2/SM-007 250 metre ascent, 3 km return walk.
- The Cascades VK2/SM-014 10 km return walk from Dead Horse Gap.
- Friday 6/3/15 – Mt Twynam VK2/SM-003, 400 metre ascent, 17 km return walk from Charlotte Pass.
- Saturday 7/3/15 – The Chimneys VK2/SM-010, 250 metre ascent, 16 km return walk from Dead Horse Gap.
- Saturday evening VK2/SM-053 for SOTA DX into Europe on 20m, starting at 07:00 UTC Saturday morning for 1 hr & 15 min.
- Sunday 8/3/15 – Skains Mountain VK2/SM-038. 154 km 2 hr 15 min drive from Jindabyne then a 200 metre ascent over a 4 km return walk.
- Peppercorn Hill VK2/SW-007, 6 km drive from Skains Mountain then a 250 metre ascent over a 4 km return walk.
- Depending on daylight time available, I might revisit VK2/SM-036 (unnamed)
- Monday 9/3/15 (public holiday) – Mount Livingston VK2/SM-093 en route to Canberra.
Thursday and Friday operating frequencies: 28.490 MHz SSB, 7.090 MHz SSB, 14.310 MHz SSB.
Saturday and Sunday operating frequencies: 28.490 MHz SSB, 7.090 MHz SSB, 14.310 MHz SSB, 144.2 MHz SSB and if the battery holds out 29.6 FM.
I may need assistance to spot, mobile phone reception will be intermittent.
New summits for me will be Mt Twynam, The Chimneys, Skains Mountain and Peppercorn Hill.
With the exception of SM-053 and SM-093 all other summits are within the Kosciuszko National Park boundary VKFF-269. SM-053 is the only drive-up peak, all other peaks will be on foot.
73, Andrew VK1NAM