- This blog is about my interests in the amateur radio Summits on the Air (SOTA) award scheme. The scheme provides amateur radio operators the opportunity to combine amateur radio operating techniques in the field, along with bush walking and navigation skills to activate qualifying summits or peaks [Amateur Radio from Mountain Tops]. My aim through this blog is to share my experience with a focus on VK1 Australian Capital Territory and nearby VK2 New South Wales peaks in the Snowy Mountains and Southern Tablelands regions.
- If you are planning to activate peaks in the ACT Namadgi National Park please take the time to review John Evan’s blog on bushwalking in Canberra. John has published walks covering most of the ACT peaks.
- Namadgi NP (VKFF-377) is a registered National Park for the WWFF and VKFF awards program, see Paul’s blog VK5PAS for details of the VKFF and WWFF awards.
- If you are located in VK1 or in the southern regions of VK2 then consider joining the VK1 Area (SOTA) email list group at SOTA VK1_Area @ Yahoo.
- If you are located in Sydney or in the west and northern regions of VK2 then consider joining the VK2 Area (SOTA) email list group at SOTA_VK2_Area @ Yahoo
- Social gathering. The VK1 group has a regular gathering in Canberra at the Ainslie Football Club where we discuss all manner of SOTA, National Parks, QRP events essentially anything of interest, you are most welcome to join us. Subscribe to the VK1 SOTA Area email group for updates.
- To see the current SOTA activator activity or latest spots click on this link to SOTAWatch2.
So, you are interested in the outdoors, adventure, operating radios and fitting antennas to squid poles on mountain peaks? Well, get out of the same old radio shack and take up SOTA. Once bitten by the SOTA bug there is no turning back! Try it, take your radio shack outdoors and live life.
Thank you for visiting this blog and taking interest in the Summits on the Air and National
Parks VKFF Award schemes.
Get out of the Radio Shack, Copyright © 2013-2017